Jul 20, 2012

My Fireplace Was Bugging Me.

First of all, just want to remind you to sign up for my email updates... over there, to the right...

Anyway, I woke up this morning and for some reason, my fireplace was irritating me.   So I gave it a mini make over.

Some before pics.  That brass - my, oh, my.





I removed the Brass pieces and brought them to the garage.  I gave them a light sand.  I was hesitant to sand the brass because it scratched easily, and i could reeeeally see the scratches, but I was more worried that the paint wouldn't stick because the brass was soooo shiny.  In the end, I am glad I gave them a light buff.  The paint is quite thick so you can't see the scratches at all.  Good call Cait.


I sprayed them with Rust-Oleum's black heat resistant paint.  It only takes about 1/2 hour between coats to dry, so I managed about 5 light coats through out the day.  It didn't need that many coats, but I sprayed really lightly, so to make sure I covered everything, I just kept going.  Besides, the kids thought it was hilarious that I was painting the fireplace.  They love watching!

I was terrified I wouldn't get the damn thing back on, so I took precise mental notes while taking it off. It went back together with ease!  Just a few screws here and there..

Ta Da...




What do ya think?  Looks good eh?!?  Not bad for a $7 dollar makeover!
And you thought I'd paint the stone...silly Sharon.  NEVER!

Update:
Here's a pic of my mantle today (Sept. 2012). I've spruced it up a bit!

 
Linked to:
Home Stories A2Z
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Exactly what I need to do with my brassy fireplace - thanks for the inspiration! And I would hope there's no paint going on those gorgeous stones...while my orange-y bricks might just get a coat or two :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So going to do this to my UgLy fireplace..that brassy look is just not in anymore:) I love the way your turned out!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ours is brassy as well.... i can't tell if i like it though on mine or if it would be better black because i painted the brick around it a dark gray. hmmmm... you are turning my wheels! i love the way yours looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassie! Thanks for visiting my blog! I read yours every day!!!! I wish I had an updated picture of my fireplace to show you. It looks beautiful all decorated. I'll do a post soon. There is no turning back once you paint your surround, so my advice, is don't do it until you are ready!!! Thanks again for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. It looks amazing! I have to do the same to ours. I bought that paint over a year ago and still haven't gotten around to it! Mayeb this will give me a little inspiration. Thanks so much for coming out to the party at Clean and Scentsible. Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete