Sep 30, 2012

DIY Wall Mount Guitar Holder

Ryan has always wanted his guitars mounted on the wall for easy access and to make his space feel like more of a "man space".  Unfortunately, we've never lived any where long enough for him to have his own space...until.... NOW!!

Last week, I sacraficed a work space of my own, for Ryan to have his own, full out, man room.  So, I gave him his guitars on the wall, just like he always wanted... love you xoxo


DIY Wall Mount Guitar Holder

First Step: Go to Home Depot and gather your supplies.
- Heavy duty screws & anchors
- Heavy duty utility wall hooks -found in the garage organzier section.
- Some sort of wood!  Ryan bought these bull nose caps, used to cap edges of stair treads.  They were quality wood, cheap, and the perfect size.  Just over $2 bucks a piece.
- Paint - what ever you have laying around.  I used some black spray paint - it was for plastic.  No one needs to know


These things are just $2 bucks at Home Depot

I chopped the wood pieces in half using my chop saw.  They weren't all a perfect length, and some had round edges, some have straight edges.  It really doesn't matter since the guitar will be hiding the wood piece.  I am soooo not a perfectionist!!!

Then I painted them black..


Then I drilled holes for the screws.  I measure about an inch and a half from the end.


Then I drilled massive holes to fit the utility hook.  Wish I had a drill press for this, but my hand held drill did it's job eventually.  You can see where the wood split a bit on the edge of the holes.  I just sanded it out nice and gave the pieces another coat of paint.


I love using painters tape to measure out hanging stuff on the wall.  I spaced the hooks about 18" apart.
First I screwed the utility hook into the piece of wood.  Then, to get them on the wall, I hammered my anchor into the wall, and screwed the piece in place.  Make sure to use a level to ensure it's straight.

Yup, looks good.  Three more to go...

So, here they are all up on the wall.


Rock Star...
James: "MOMMY! The guitars are hanging up!"  He was seriously astonished.  Confidence booster for me.  Who cares if it comes from a 4 year old!



They look awesome from the hallway!

That's it!  I never said it was rocket science!!  Way cheaper than the store bought wall hangers and they look just as good!

Each wall mount cost less than $4 bucks to make.  The retail at the store any where from $20-45.  I'm so thrifty.

33 comments:

  1. First time follower through Blog Hop.

    I'm thrifty also and would never have thought putting guitars on a wall could look so stylish, great job!

    Hope you can visit my blog sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, I just stopped by your blog. Are you really in Australia??? So cool! Thanks a bunch for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS! My musician roommates are going to love me for this :) Found you via Not Just a Housewife link party!

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that I'm following you! What a cool idea and it looks great. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome work:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good idea!
    so much cheaper than the store bought guitar mounts.... $$$$$$!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle, Love the guitar mount, in particular the background colors. I'm a new follower to your blog. I'm Michele from www.sewsweetvintage.com. Follow me to and like me on Facebook. I posted vintage halloween apron to this party and vintage chenille pumpkin. Cheers My hubby did a guitar mount for me. Gonna try a background pattern or color. We'll see

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice way of storing the guitars! I want to imitate this one, maybe with flower pots inside the house. I'm just thinking where to buy inexpensive detachable cabinet shelves. Small ones will do! Aren't they nice to look at the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive. This will definitely be helpful when I need additional space for couches but the guitar stands are in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally, a space-saver hack! Now I can have a place to keep my trusty old Mustang that won't be difficult to go to when I need to, and I can even have some space to keep the extra table to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, that's a really cool accessory concept. I wonder how this thing will work if it was used to hold out a TV on the wall or something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good accessory I should have for my own house. It'll be a great add-on and support for my other stuff, especially when there isn't a lot of space available.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just when I needed a space-saving add-on for all the stuff I have at home. Maybe I can modify it to hold up some of the bathroom accessories I have too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super nice, if I only know how to play the guitar! Anyways, maybe another storage that needs to be out of reach for kids will do for this project. That one I'm still thinking too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do these holders apply only to guitars? I am thinking of trying it and put some in my home office to accommodate my other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle, Thanks for stopping by! You could use these for ANYTHING!!!!! Utility hooks come in all sorts of sizes and colours. What are you thinking about hanging??? Would love to see pics when you are all done!

      Delete
  15. High five! You are so thrifty ;-) and skilled with putting wood stuff together too. I don't know if I can do it. I sort of stay away from anything requiring drilling. I've done bookshelves though, so if I can handle that, why not this?

    I'll tell you one thing, your picture is inspirational. They look so good hanging up like that. It gives the room a whole different look. My hubby does carvings and I've always wanted to mount them. This post is pushing me to make that more of a reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much for stopping by and posting your great comment!!! Honestly, these were so easy to make. Don't be intimidated by your power drill!!!! Who says wall art has to be painting and pictures! Carvings would be just as interesting as our guitars!! Good luck and please send pics when you are done!
      CAIT

      Delete
  16. This is a great design for my house wall and a light ambiance to look at. It brings much more space rather than placed your guitar anywhere in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Andrea BeddingfieldAugust 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM

    Could you tell me what wall color you used? My son wants to paint his room this color. We are also planning on hanging his guitar collection up like this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Elephant Skin by Behr! You can see the full post here - http://www.myhousemycanvas.com/2012/09/office-reveal.html

      Thanks for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  18. So do you have TWO screws in the wall or just one? Or is that wall hook screwed only into the wood and the wood is then anchored into the wall...?? Would love to do this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the utility hook is screwed into the wood, and the wood is screwed into the wall.

      Delete
  19. Why not just screw directly into the wall? The wood piece makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The utility hook couldn't be screwed directly into the drywall. It needed an anchor.

      Delete
  20. I am going to do a simular idea but I think mine will be more secure. Instead of anchors in drywall I am going to screw a nice painted 1x6 or 2x12 across the whole wall right into the studs. Then I can screw in the hanger part right into it so its all held by stud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good idea! Looking back, I wish that's what I did. My husband has added 2 new guitars to his collection since this post. I have yet to make him more hangers. Wish I could just screw in the hook!!!
      Let me know how it turns out!!

      Delete
  21. Hi CAIT GEDDES, this is such a great idea. I was searching for ideas to hang my classic and acoustic guitar in my new room.. this is such a brilliant idea. I shall do it and excited how it may turn out

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such an easy, great idea. We'll be doing this at our new house. How are they holding up (literally)?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I might add some kind of strap, but I am a belt and suspenders man.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Cait, Awesome work! those look very nice. Feeling inspired to try this route for my home office. I might try adding a couple of sections of fuel hose from the auto parts store (maybe 3/8" long) that fit tightly on the two fingers to act as stops to keep the neck from sliding forward and coming off (an in-expensive adaptation of a design feature seen on some of the store bought ready made solutions).

    ReplyDelete
  25. What size of hooks did you use? There isn't a Home Depot in my area, so I need to order it in from Home Hardware but I don't want to order a random one only for it to not fit my guitars :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete